Thursday, November 25, 2010

American Thanksgiving

Today is American Thanksgiving. From a big feast the Indians and Pilgrims had. In the USA. Tonight my friend, who is also American, is having a big Thanksgiving dinner and that's where we'll be.
In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The origins and reasons for American Thanksgiving are disputed, but I remember in grade school, learning that the Pilgrims didn't bring any plows, shovels or building or farming equipment, and the Indians helped them and taught them how to survive. That being said, I always wondered why Thanksgiving wasn't in the spring, after you've survived the winter, instead of November, when the worst weather is yet to come.

Other countries that celebrate Thanksgiving are:

The Netherlands.
Grenada
Liberia
Norfolk Island (Australian Territory)

It's a good idea for me to be Thankful, and pick out the good things in my life. I have a really good life, but I tend to focus on the problems, not on what is good. I believe life is about continuous problem solving, but one should never focus entirely on the problems or forget the good things.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your cute Turkey day picture!
Norman Rockwell is a true favorite of mine. I thought we celebrated Thanksgiving back in the Pilgram days to celebrate the fall harvest. Indians and Pilgrams working together to have a great feast. Hey, quit looking so hard at problems. We have one life, live it to its fullest and happiest. Problems always get ironed out. You might have to work at it pretty hard...but, they all get solved somehow! Gotta have faith!! Belive in yourself and eat so much turkey your tummy will burst! That's what I'm doing!! lol
Happy Turkey Day to you and wifey!!!!....debbie

November 25, 2010 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home