Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Secret of Life

I'm always going to have a full set of problems. I have a full set of unresolved problems now, I had a full set six months ago. But the thing is, I can't remember what my problems were six months ago. And in six months I probably won't remember what my problems are today. They're unimportant. I make them important in my mind.

On a good day, maybe I'll get three new problems but get rid of five. On a bad day, maybe I'll get five new ones and only get rid of three.

The secret of life is to be happy even with unresolved problems.

This morning I was sitting on my beautiful back porch, in the beautiful perfect weather, eating my cereal, thinking how my life sucks. Work sucks, my boss is unreasonable, I think nobody likes me. I'm a bad pet owner because the dogs are misbehaving. Once I start negative thinking, it tends to snowball. I sometimes only look at the problems, not the goood stuff.

There is a lot more good stuff in my life than bad. A whole lot more. I have a fantastic girl, who is my best friend, I have a great job in a great place. I go to the beach and snorkeling during lunch and after work. I ride my scooter and can smell the young tourist girls perfume as I ride by. My life is a privilege. There is an infinite number of good things, and very few bad. But only seeing the bad can ruin my day.

People are good or bad because of the things they do, not because of how they feel. All I have to do is work hard, be nice, do the best I can, and keep a clean conscience. It doesn't matter how I feel, it matters what I do.

Most of the time I am happy, but today I kind of have the blues.

And look at the good stuff, while I'm trying to eliminate the bad, which is the same thing as trying to resolve my problems.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mindie said...

That is a good perspective. Everyone is blessed in some way. I am like you though, some days the bad, which is almost always really nothing life shattering, overshadows the amazing good I have in my life. Thanks for the encouragement, and keep thinking positive. :)

April 22, 2009 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A nice quote for your day;

"If I had my life to live over, I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I'd have fewer imaginary ones." ~Don Herold

Have a nice, happy day!

April 22, 2009 9:17 AM  
Anonymous ms cute pants said...

Very well said Mark. I really enjoyed reading this!

That smelling the perfume of tourists girls as you drive by made me laugh!!!

Thanks for all your comments on my blog, esp the one about the Barracuda. Who knew!

April 22, 2009 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another quote for your blog entry:

"The only corner of the universe you are certain of improving is your own"

Like to read those positives always!

April 22, 2009 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to be a glass-half-empty person, myself. It's hard to get into the habit of looking at the good things in your life, when it's so much easier to grouse about the stuff that pisses you off. I don't know why that is.

April 22, 2009 3:43 PM  
Blogger Nola said...

We all have "blue" days....just don't wallow there too long. With the big day coming up and all that it does tend to make you more contemplative as well on your life.
You need a goal to work towards.....not work or anything. Just something you really would like to do one day. Maybe save up your dollars for a trip to Australia!!! I would give you and the "OL Girl" free accommodation and take you to see the sights..like beautiful Cradle Mountain and Wineglass Bay......yeah....save up for a holiday!!!!!! Come here and freeze your butt off then you would appreciate your warm weather:)

April 25, 2009 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home