Friday, August 15, 2008

Scientists alarmed by ocean dead-zone growth

Check out this link. Once I went diving in a harbor, and down deep was a 'dead zone' with no oxygen. It was freezinger and weird. Even with scuba gear, there was a strong urge to not proceed. It was almost like you could feel the nasty taste I checked it out, but barely, I went back up shallower. I think the de-oxygenated water is denser than oxygenated water, so it sinks and collects in pools in the low spots on the bottom, and they tend to remain until something stirs them up, which isn't easy.
This could be really bad, I bet we hear more of this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mindie said...

Wow..that is weird. I've never heard of that before...how big was the dead zone?

August 15, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

This was just in a deeper 'hole' in the bottom of a harbor, near a dock. It was still salt water, with tides, but the bad water just sits in the hole, like vinegar and oil. I guess the amount of bad water was determined by the hole, because the excess water got circulated by the tides, the water in the hole didn't.

August 16, 2008 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very scary! But at least it is solvable, as long as we decide when it's time to take the initiative. I can't imagine what that must have felt like though.

August 16, 2008 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home