Friday, September 16, 2011

Culling Course

Last night I took the required course and filled out an Lionfish Culling application. Or as I like to say, "Lionfish Killing"

From the Cayman Islands Department of Environment Facebook page:

The Red Lionfish (Pterois volitans) started its invasion of the Cayman Islands with the first one found in Little Cayman. Practically a year later Grand Cayman had its first reported sighting. Since then the Cayman Islands Department of Environment has been working hard to promote awareness of this invasive species and with the ...enormous help from an outstanding team of licensed cullers, we have seen many hundreds removed from our waters.

In a week I should have my license, then I will apply for the speargun permit. I don't want to catch lionfish, I don't want to eat lionfish. I don't want to get stung by a lionfish. I just want to help prevent them from taking over the reef.

7 Comments:

Blogger Penelope Marzec said...

I had no idea that lionfish were such a problem!

September 16, 2011 9:02 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Oh good luck with the killing...or culling...or not getting stung...or whatever. They're really pretty though!

September 16, 2011 3:03 PM  
Blogger Grandma K said...

Good luck.

September 16, 2011 6:25 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

but it's sooo beautiful...

September 16, 2011 7:55 PM  
Blogger redgirl said...

some of the most beautiful things are the deadliest

September 17, 2011 3:58 PM  
Blogger jean said...

I wonder where they came from? Didn't know they were a problem. Interesting.

September 19, 2011 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw a docco on this recently. They are just beautiful; it's sad they are being so destructive.

Good Luck!

September 20, 2011 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home