Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Souvenirs

When people go on vacation, they like to buy a souvenir. A t-shirt, keychain, something like that.
I usually don't buy typical souvenirs. I was in the Maldives, and I bought a pair of dive booties. I did buy a t-shirt too, but I remember those dive booties and every time I wore them I'd remember the Maldives.
I was in Ohio, with my Mom, and we were at the store my Grandfather used to go to with me. I saw a shaving brush. I had just gotten a new one, so I didn't get it, but I've been wishing I had ever since.
Last February, Costa Rica, I bought a toothbrush in the grocery store. Every morning and evening and whenever I brush my teeth, I think about the Costa Rica trip. I also bought a new pair of flip flops. In hindsight, I think the toothbrush is an excellent souvenir.
I think it's a good idea to (sometimes on purpose) leave something you know you'll need at home, so that you'll have to buy a new one, then you may find it is the favorite thing that reminds you of your trip!

7 Comments:

Blogger Penelope Marzec said...

That's a great idea. I always like practical things and most souvenirs are simply dust collectors. :^)

March 14, 2012 7:37 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I don't go anywhere any more..but when my granddaughters would travel they would always bring me back a key chain from where ever they had been..then once they went to the coast and had been there before so instead of another key chain they got me a flesh colored coffee mug with a penis for a handle..I keep my pens in it right by my computer..so every day I see the little dick handle and think of how much my granddaughters love me.

March 14, 2012 11:36 AM  
Blogger jean said...

Very interesting. I've never been much into souvenirs but, your idea of getting something useful is good.

March 14, 2012 12:51 PM  
Blogger Chris H said...

Interesting concept Mark.
I just wonder how long that toothbrush will last though! lol

March 14, 2012 4:01 PM  
Blogger Splendid Little Stars said...

I love having things that remind me of trips taken! For me, it seems to be rocks.
Thanks for visiting my blog! The shots of DC were taken in early September 2011.

March 14, 2012 10:58 PM  
Blogger Island Woman MJ said...

It's a win win thing...you have a tangible memory, even a toothbrush (!) and local stores get some input to the economy. Hopefully, you try to buy from local vendors (hint hint).

March 15, 2012 10:53 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

That's a good idea. I usually just get a t-shirt. And while I do wear them a lot, now it seems a bit uncreative.

March 16, 2012 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home