Friday, April 27, 2012

Books From When I Was A Kid

I'm here this morning, with my insomnia kicked it full blast. Earlier, I was surfing the net, looking for old books I read as a kid. I found my top two picks. 

The first one, Andrew the Big Deal, is a very funny book about a kid (Andrew) growing up with his family. Did I mention it is very funny? I took it to school, and gave it to the teacher to read to the class. I remember I thought she was kind of skeptical when I gave it to her, but the next day she told me how good it was and that she read the whole book and couldn't put it down. She read it to our whole class, I think it was Third or Fourth  Grade.
One of the funniest parts I remember is that Andrew dug a hole in the yard as a trap for Santa Clause. His Dad stepped in the hole and twisted his ankle. Andrew said something like "Good thing I had it all figured out that Santa was a midget, or I would have dug a hole big enough for Dad to twist his neck". Or something like that.

The second book I looked up was about a boy in Saskatchewan Canada, who adopted a teeny tiny baby owl. The book is called "Owls In The Family" The owl grows up and the boy teaches it to fly and everything.
I remember when the family was at the dinner table and the owl lands on the windowsill with a dead, stinky skunk in his talons. He just wanted to eat dinner with the family, or brought them an additional main course! 
I remember I thought it was cool to think there were kids in Saskatchewan, like me, who might get an owl. We had frogs and turtles in my area. I remember looking up Saskatchewan in the Atlas and in the encyclopedia. This was before the internet, ya know. 
Now, amazingly, my Sister In Law is from Saskatchewan!

There's other books I can/can't remember. I remember a book I read in grade school with a blue cover that had a New England style house on the front. The house had a lookout platform/deck on the top. The book was about ghosts I think. I remember the cover, and that I liked it, but can't remember much else. I'd know it if I saw it though.

Another book I read in my much older years was supposedly written by an insane person. I can't remember anything about it except thinking that it was fantastic. "How could anybody think to write this?" One part I remember was the guy would never date women with fancy fingernails. And he had many many many good reasons why. As I was reading this, I was thinking "Dang, this is true." To me that book was impossible to write unless the author was really insane. It was an incredible read! 
I have no idea who wrote it or the title. I think I was in High School or the Navy when I read that book. 


I guess I've always been a reader. Years ago somebody told me I describe books I read like someone describing a movie. I guess that made me feel pretty good. Usually, the book is better than the movie, but sometimes the move makes me go read the book..

Anyway, that's it for today. It's Friday, and like always, I hope you have a good weekend. Here it looks like it might be cloudy and rainy all weekend. I want to go diving and I don' t like diving when it's rainy!!! I guess I'm afraid to get wet!

8 Comments:

Blogger MarkD60 said...

Funny, I read the reviews for "Owls In The Family" and there were two boys and two owls. I don't remember that. I just remember one each....

April 27, 2012 4:14 AM  
Blogger Deech said...

OK, so this was a cool post. Now you have me thinking about books I read growing up...

April 27, 2012 8:08 AM  
Blogger sunshine said...

I would love to read the book with the Owls, but then of course you know I am going to want a pet Owl, right?

Oh well, our anniversary is coming up (hint, hint!)

April 27, 2012 9:38 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

my favorite books when I was a kid weren't kids books..I read adult books..I remember reading Ian Rand when I was 9-10, I read all of the sci/fi books by Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. Allen Smith who was a humorist and is still my favorite author.

April 27, 2012 2:19 PM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

I remember a book I read when I was about 10, my parents. "The Making Of a Psychiatrist" First book I ever read with the word "Fuck" in it. Amazing!

April 27, 2012 2:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love to read about books and people's reviews of them. What a great topic!
Thanks.

April 28, 2012 7:44 AM  
Blogger jean said...

One of my favorite books I read as a kid was "The Sea Wolf". I did like sea stories. And then, there was the other side of me, reading another favorite, "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm". Now, I live by the sea and on a farm. One never knows where a book will lead. A great weekend to both you and Sunshine!

April 28, 2012 12:04 PM  
Blogger Island Woman MJ said...

Great post! I read a lot and always have...and can relate to your book reading as a child sort of being dream-like. Sign of a good book...is it real, or??

May 01, 2012 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home