Thursday, June 17, 2010

See-Saw

I finished my online course, Computer Networking For Broadcast Engineers. It didn't take as long as I thought it would.
Now it's back to the Spanish!
Tomorrow is my Swearing-In as a citizen in the British Overseas Territories. It's like I'm becoming a Brit, but remaining a foreigner in the Cayman Islands.
My contract for work expires at the end of June, not the end of July, as I had thought. There are, apparently, half a dozen qualified Caymanian applicants. The law requires the interviewer to hire the qualified Caymanian. It's a good law, it sucks for me, but it's a good law. In the US they fire the American to give the job to the immigrant! Everyone tells me not to worry, I will keep my job, but you never know! The fine line for the decision maker is in deciding how qualified the qualified applicant is. Sometimes I'm confident and sometimes I'm scared to death!
It would be ironic for the Cayman Islands Government to give me a CI passport with one hand and take my job of 13 years with the other!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris H said...

Well there isn't much you can do but wait and see eh? I hope you get to keep your job.
do you have a plan for IN CASE you don't???

June 18, 2010 1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home