Friday, December 09, 2005

That guy in Singapore

I've been thinking about that guy in Singapore who got hanged for drugs. He was 23 years old when he got caught and 25 when he got hanged. When I was 23 I was in Singapore, and I was looking for drugs. I was on a ship, we stopped in Singapore, my drug supply was gone and I was looking. I was asking cab drivers and bartenders where to score. Everybody said the same thing, "There's no drugs in Singapore, they hang you for drugs here. When we want to get high, we go to Thailand".
But I didn't care, I wanted drugs and I kept looking, knowing that if I got caught, I could be hanged. I never found any, never even got warm.
Now I'm 45 and don't do drugs any more. I read about that kid they hanged and think it could have been me.
I can imagine it was me. I would be thinking, "I knew it!"
It would be scary walking up to the gallows, them putting a rope around your neck. Seeing the crack from the trap door in the floor, someone putting a black bag over your head, and waiting...
Me now isn't the same me as me then. I was lucky then. I'm still lucky now.

4 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

Isn't it wild when you have "it coulda been me" thoughts like that?

December 09, 2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

nice post mark..... i have a lot of those "man, that could have easily been me" moments too.... glad it wasn't you!

December 09, 2005 1:02 PM  
Blogger Carnealian said...

Very scary thought! Glad it wasn't you! Who would I get to visit in the Caymans???

December 09, 2005 6:38 PM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

Glad it wasn't you, Mark-O. Hey, but when I think of some of the stupid S*&T I did sometimes, it's not only a wonder I wasn't killed, but some innocent person(s) as well. :)

December 09, 2005 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home